Monday, May 16, 2011

10-7

There is a profession out there that I have been honoured to be a part of for the last eleven years. A group of very special men and women who put their own lives and problems on hold to provide assistance to those in times of distress. They offer calmness in a time of chaos. They are emergency services communicators, more commonly known as 911 operators or dispatchers.
A very special group of people indeed. They deal with incredibly tense situations and usually don't get to know the outcome. They genuinely care about others and do whatever they can to help.
Sometimes they care too much and the stress and strain become too much to bear.
That is where I find myself today. I can no longer provide the calm, caring voice people need at such times. I care too much.
So it is with sadness in my heart I am saying 10-7.
To all my fellow radio room persons I say "see ya, take care, thanks for all the laughs, it's been a slice!"
To the officers I got to know and care about I say " stay safe, look out for each other, I am going to miss each and every one of you"
To everyone else I say "remember the person on the other end of the phone or the officer at your door is there to help you, appreciate them"

this control is 10-7

2 comments:

Jane said...

Al, you have spent the past 11 years giving your all to a job that I could never do. You saw more chaos and tragedy each and every shift than most of us see in a lifetime. You have more than done your part.

Thank you for being part of that special group of people that keep the rest of us safe.

DJW said...

What Jane said.

Amen