Saturday, January 7, 2012

sign the card!

Please sign your donor card!
I have been signing mine since I first got my driver's license. It wasn't a difficult decision, after all I would no longer have need of my organs. Never really gave it much thought until my health became somewhat fragile. But, I decided to keep signing as surely something would still be useful after I am gone. Even if for nothing more than research. Hey, who knows, maybe my pancreas could provide answers to help cure diabetes!

Well, I am surely thinking about it now. Two family members are in need of kidneys. My nephew is just a bit luckier than my niece, his brother is a potential match and willing to donate one of his kidneys.
My niece is not having it so good. She has cancer in both of her kidneys. One of them needs to come out this month. The other is waiting. This 32 year old mother of four not only has to deal with the cancer, but, is in her second trimester of pregnancy. Every family member who could be a potential donor is being tested and a lot of friends have volunteered as well. Hopefully we will find a match for her.
Please sign your card. The life or lives you save may even be someone close to you!

1 comment:

irysh joned said...

I hear ya! I too have always signed my card
And my family all know my wishes as well...
Sorry to hear about your family alice, thinking
Of you and wishing them all luck....